Pine trees burning


Place Joffre
68800 Thann

344 m

03 89 37 96 20
Every year, on June 30th, the town of Thann celebrates its founding with the "burning of the three pine trees". In 1161, the servant of Thiebaut, the bishop of Gubbio (Italy), took a halt in the forest of Thann. His walking stick, in which he had hidden the relics of his master, got stuck in the ground. At the same time, three lights appeared above three pine trees. The Lord of Thann, Count oF Ferrette, who was residing in the Engelbourg castle, decided to have a chapel built on the spot. Pilgrimages in honour of St Thiebaut increased throughout the centuries, the chapel was enlarged and eventually became a collegiate church.

useful informations

Départ / RDV : Place de l'Hôtel de Ville
Opening hours from 2 pm to Midnight
Length of visit/event Half-day
Other services provided Toilets
Interest Event of regional or national interest
Organised by Ville de Thann


Rates (€) Free